Shilpa Gulati, M.D., is an ophthalmologist and fellowship-trained vitreoretinal specialist and surgeon. Dr. Gulati graduated with a Bachelor’s degree in Human Biology from Stanford University and a Master’s in Public Health from the University of California, San Francisco. She earned her Doctor of Medicine from the University of Michigan Medical School, where she was recognized for her writing and work in public health in Uganda and India.
Dr. Gulati completed her residency in ophthalmology at the Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary of the University of Illinois at Chicago, where she was selected as Chief Resident by her mentors and received the Norman P. Blair Research Award and the Chicago Ophthalmological Society Beem Fisher Research Award. She went on to a two-year vitreoretinal surgery fellowship at Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston and the New England Eye Center at Tufts Medical Center.
Dr. Gulati has authored multiple peer-reviewed scientific publications and textbook chapters and presented her work at national meetings. She has served as a sub-investigator on numerous clinical trials for age-related macular degeneration, diabetic macular edema, retinal vascular occlusion, and retinitis pigmentosa. She is an active member of the American Society of Retina Specialists, American Academy of Ophthalmology, and Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology.
Dr. Gulati treats all conditions of the retina and vitreous, including retinal detachment, age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinal vascular diseases, and macular hole and pucker. She is committed to restoring and maintaining vision to improve her patients’ quality of life.
- Vitreoretinal conditions
- Retinal detachment
- Age-related macular degeneration
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Retinal vascular diseases
- Macular hole and pucker
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Biology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Master’s degree in Public , University of California, San Francisco, CA
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI
- Residency in Ophthalmology–Illinois Eye and Ear Infirmary of the University of Illinois, Chicago, IL
- Fellowship in Vitreoretinal Surgery–Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston and New England Eye Center at Tufts Medical Center, Boston MA
- Chief Resident for distinguished performance during residency in ophthalmology, University of Illinois
- Norman P. Blair Research Award, University of Illinois
- Chicago Ophthalmological Society Beem Fisher Research Award
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
Hospital and Surgery Center Affiliations
- Baystate Medical Center